1. Frymoyer JW. Back pain and sciatica. N Engl J Med 1988; 318:291–300.
2. Andersson GBJ, Brown MD, Dvorak J. Consensus summary on the diagnosis and treatment of lumbar disc herniation. Spine 1996; 24(suppl): 75–8.
3. Keller RB, Atlas SJ, Soule DN. Relationship between rates and outcomes of operative treatment for lumbar disc herniation and spinal stenosis. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1999; 81:752–62.
4. Weber H. Lumbar disc herniation: a controlled, prospective study with ten years of observation. Spine 1983; 8:131–40.
5. Cherkin DC, Deyo RA, Loeser JD, Bush T, Waddell G. An international comparison of back surgery rates. Spine 1994; 19:1201-6.
6. Konstantinou K, Dunn KM. Sciatica: review of epidemiological studies and prevalence estimates. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 2008; 33:2464–72.
7. Legrand E, Bouvard B, Audran M, Fournier D, Valat JP. Sciatica from disk herniation: medical treatment or surgery? Joint Bone Spine2007; 74:530–5.
8. Vroomen PC, Krom MC, Slofstra PD, Knottnerus JA. Conservative treatment of sciatica: a systematic review. J Spinal Disord 2000; 13:463–9.
9. Weber H, Holme I, Amlie E. The natural course of acute sciatica with nerve root symptoms in a double-blind placebo-controlled trial evaluating the effect of piroxicam. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 1993; 18:1433–8.
10. Gibson JNA, Waddell G. Surgical interventions for lumbar disc prolapse. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2007.2.
11. Gregory DS, Seto CK, Wortley GC, Shugart CM. Acute lumbar disk pain: navigating evaluation and treatment choices. Am Fam Physician 2008; 78:835–42.
12. Wilco J, Mauritsvan T, Mark A, Sidney R, Marienke M, Raymond O, et al. Surgery versus conservative management of sciatica due to a lumbar herniated disc: a systematic review. Eur Spine J 2011; 20(4):513–22.
13. Patrick DL, Deyo RA, Atlas SJ, Singer DE, Chapin A, Keller RB. Assessing healthrelated quality of life in patients with sciatica. Spine1995; 20:1899–908.
14. Collins SL, Moore RA, McQuay HJ. The visual analogue pain intensity scale: what is moderate pain in millimetres? Pain 1997; 72:95–7.
15. Peul WC, van Houwelingen HC, van der Hout WB. Prolonged conservative treatment or ‘early’ surgery in sciatica caused by a lumbar disc herniation: rationale and design of a randomized trial. BMC Musculoskelet Disord 2005; 6:8.
16. Weber H. Lumbar disc herniation: a controlled, prospective study with ten years of observation. Spine1983; 8:131–40.
17. Wilco C. Peul M, Hans C. Surgery versus Prolonged Conservative Treatment for Sciatica. N Engl J Med 2007; 356:22.
18. Lequin MB, Verbaan D, Jacobs WCH, Ronald B, Vandertop G, William P, et al. Surgery versus prolong conservative treatment of sciatica: 5-year results of randomized controlled trial. BMJ Open 2013; 3:e002534. 19. Greenberg S., Arredondo N. Handbook of Neurosurgery 2006. 6.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.